"Ambulance Service should have treated him with more urgency "

About: South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance

A couple of weeks ago I rang for an ambulance after my husband had a fall and then became quickly ill . He was sweating profusely, vomiting, unable to speak properly, and in extreme pain. It took 45 mins. and 2 '999' calls before the ambulance responded. When it arrived the two paramedics decided he had severe constipation, referred him to out of hours team and left. A few hours later a nurse from the out of hours team arrived and demanded I take him to A&E as he was very unwell. The fall he had broke some ribs and punctured his liver causing severe internal bleeding. He is still in hospital receiving treatment so I think he should have been treated as the more urgent case that he was.

Response from Sara Coburn, Patient Engagement Manager, Governance, South Western Ambulance Service Foundation Trust

Dear NotATimewaster

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. I would like to apologise for any distress or anxiety that may have occurred as a result of this incident and I hope that your husband is recovering well.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further. May I please ask you to contact the Patient Experience Team on 01392 251585 or email makingexperiencescount@swast.nhs.uk in the first instance who will be pleased to assist you.

Thank you, again for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Sara