"A&E triage"

About: Royal Sussex County Hospital

I had what I now understand was a diaphragmatic spasm yesterday, probably due to my hiatial hernia and accidentally ingesting some gluten which I have been avoiding for about 8 months. I felt faint and panicky while waiting, but I was seen by two very good nurses, both men, my blood was taken with minimum pain and fuss and i had an ECG, both tests were good. I did tell the triage nurse that I suffered from a hiatial hernia. But the attack passed and we were so tired that eventually I signed myself out without seeing the doctor. I don't know if the doctor would have diagnosed the problem, which in hindsight feels like a panic attack but is actually a breathing issue due to diaphragm spasm, but I had another attack tonight after eating dinner so rode it out, when it stopped I have done a lot of research and have discovered what the problem might be. I was very grateful for the kind and respectful treatment I received and for the calm atmosphere in A&E which really helped. I was eventually told after 2 hours that I was third in queue for the attention of a doctor, that felt like it was too long, but I know that the cause of this is not the responsibility of the staff present but the current system. All in all a positive experience I felt well cared for.

Response from Royal Sussex County Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind comments regarding the treatment and care provided to you by our A&E staff . It is with great pleasure that I have passed these onto the team.