"Not notified of my relative's transfers"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General medicine

The patient was taken to East Surrey Hospital. Then sent up to St. Georges Hospital with a blood leakage in her head.

She was returned to East Surrey Hospital without me being informed of this. She was in a ward there. Then moved to another ward without me being notified, so I turned up to find she had been moved yet again to another ward. Again without anyone letting me know.

So, as consequence of this I had to travel round the hospital to find her. There was no notification to let me know where she was.

Response from Eloise Clarke, Communications Manager, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear 'idiotic'

I am very sorry to hear that your relative was moved several times during their stay at the hospital. We try to ensure patients go to the most appropriate ward when they are admitted but unfortunately when the hospital is full it is not always possible. It is not our desired standard of care to move patients between wards at all, let alone more than once and so I am sorry that this happened to your relative.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service by contacting the team on 01737 231958 or email pals@sash.nhs.uk or you can find the team opposite Boots in the hospital's Main Entrance.

Many thanks