"SAU then ward 31"

About: Barnsley Hospital

Was admitted on Friday 12th for a routine hernia operation. I was supposed to go down to the operating theatre at 1130 ish, after seeing all the appropriate doctors. A different anesthetist came to see me at 1:30pm and said that it would be another hour before I would be taken down for the operation. A nurse came for me at about 3.00pm and off we went to the theatre. I remember looking at the clock just before going under it was 3:30.

When I was coming round I was surprised to see that I was being moved to a ward bed; I remember seeing a lot of people lifting me off the trolley onto the ward bed. I was a little sleepy but remember asking why I was brought to the ward. When I eventually came round fully at 10.00 pm I asked again, a ward nurse replied "you took too long to come around". After that I was tried to get some sleep but could not due to the noise in the room from other patients; I must have had 1 hours sleep.

The following morning I waited and waited for a doctor to discharge me. 4.00 pm came and still no doctors to be seen. I had had enought by then as I could not stop another night in that ward, so self discharged.

Ward staff were great no problems just waiting on doctors and on a weekend that appears to be a gamble if you are seen early or late or not at all..

If you are taken to a ward at weekend just for quick recovery get ready for a long wait .

Response from Jill Pell, Head of Patient Experience, Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for valuable feedback following your recent operation. Thank you for the positive comments you have made about ward staff but there are clearly some issues, such as your wait to be discharged, we need to look into more closely.

I will share your comments with our staff and it would be really helpful if you could ring our PALS team on 01226 432430 or email: barnsleypals@nhs.net with your details so that we can ring you to get your personal details. We will then look into the concerns you have raised and give you some feedback.

Response from Barnsley Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on NHS Choices about your experience of your on SAU and Ward 31. Your feedback is valuable to us.

Best wishes