"Severe pain to spine (lumbar) & r. leg"

About: Pontefract General Infirmary

Taken by family member (1st time) Sunday tea time because of extreme level of pain & inability to mobalise/stand/laydown.

After booking in was left sat in great pain for just over 80 minutes before i was summoned by a nurse into the treatment area? to spend approx 1minute providing details of my symptoms. I was thentold to go back to the waiting area until called back to see a Doctor.

After waiting for 2hrs & 30mins. I 'hobbled' to the reception desk to ask how much longer i would have to wait as i was in extreme pain.

I was called back through to the treatment area approx 20mins later where i was examined by a female Doctor. I was prescribed pain medication and told to go home and rest.

A couple of days later i had to ring for an ambulance at approx. 6:15am as the pain had become excruciating & was now down the whole of my R. leg. On arrival the paramedics did there'thing' and told me they were going to take me to Pontefract Hospital. However, A&E would not be open for arrivals until 8:00AM. At 7:50am

I was taken into the A&E & my case details passed on to the Nurse; who said: "Youdo no that we don't start work until 8". At no point did a single member of staff acknowledge me.

I was taken to a side investigation room and asked to remove my trousers. I was left waiting for over 30mins before a 'Nurse'came & took my blood pressure. I sat in great distress listening to arriving staff chatting & organising tea & coffee for everyone!

A further 20mins later a male Doctor came in and gave me a 'thorough' check over. Because i was not showing signs of problems with my bowel & bladder i was told there was nothing else to be done other than up my pain relief meds. & told to go to the Pharmacy to pick up.

Dispite it been blatantly obvious that i could hardly move i was offered no assistance in transffering to the Pharmacy. In trying to make my way to the pharmacy i almost passed out with the pain & effort. fortunately my wife came and found me & a wheelchair to sit in whils she organised the new meds and car drive home.

Why was i not offered an x ray? AnMRI scan? Why did no one 'Care'? Where was the 'Respect'? "From cradle to grave" we have been promised we will be looked after.

I am ashamed & shocked that i witnessed & encounted first hand NHS 'professionals' conduct them selves in such an unacceptable way.

Clearly to everyone-surely as some on in so much pain & discomfort why have i had no treatment?

To cut a long story short (having to be urgently admitted to Pinderfields Hospital as reffered by my GP) I have a MRI scan booked for the begining of May!

I really don't know how i am going to cope and wait for such a period of time just for a scan to establish what treatment is needed.

I believe and fear that this Hospital will have hindered and may in fact have caused further damage to my spine as i have been left suffering and in great pain for far too long.

Ticking boxes is not providing care.

Response from Pontefract General Infirmary

We would be pleased to investigate these concerns if the patient would like to contact us directly ( pals@midyorks.nhs.uk)

With regard to the comment about x rays/MRI, these carry a risk in themselves and would only be arranged if the examining clinician felt it appropriate. They are not routinely "offered".