"Visiting my husband."

About: Sunderland Royal Hospital

I had to call in to see my husband this morning to take a change of clothes etc, this was, I accept, out of normal visiting hours as I have a very sick son in the Freeman. This was the only time I could get there.

I was approached by a woman who asked me to leave as the ward was for male patients and they were going to start washing - this would have been fine as I hadn't planned on staying but her attitude and the way she spoke to me was shocking.

We have had so much in the news about patient care - treating patients and visitors with respect - this is sadly lacking in a lot of parts of the NHS that I have experienced in the past year.

If things are to change, it needs to start with the attitudes of everyone that works in the wards.

I accept that this is a very stressful job, I have seen both sides, but if I had the same attitude - I work with stoma patients - I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Response from Sunderland Royal Hospital

Thank you for your response. We are sorry that you were spoken to in this way at our Trust and would be grateful if you could contact us a corporate.affairs@chsft.nhs.uk so that we can identify the area which you are referring to.