"Repeatedly Cancelled Operations"

About: Peterborough City Hospital

My wife has had her hysterectomy operation cancelled three times now. Each time members of the family have booked holidays and made arrangements for her post operative care (6 weeks). In some cases due to the last minute nature of the cancellations changing these holidays and work arrangements has been difficult or impossible to change. This does not seem to be taken into consideration by this obviously under funded brand New Hospital.Maybe this goverment do not want New Hospitals built by the last goverment to succeed or am I just being cynical.

Response from Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

I am so sorry for the problems that you and your wife have experienced and can fully appreciate your frustration and anxiety. I can assure you that we do not cancel operations lightly and spend a lot of time trying to find ways to ensure that patients can have their surgery at their given time. We do however have to make uncomfortable decisions if we do not feel that we can safely accommodate the patient and this is sadly when operations are cancelled. Recently the need to do this has been precipitated by a significant increase in emergency admissions however we are working hard with our community colleagues to try and address this problem and so ensure that any future cancelations are minimised.

Once again please accept my apologies and I hope that this has provided you with some reassurance.

Response from Peterborough City Hospital

We are really sorry to hear of the problems that you and your wife have experienced. Please be assured that the Trust do not cancel operations lightly and spend a lot of time trying to find ways to ensure that patients can have their surgery at their given time.

We have seen a significant increase in emergency admissions recently, however we are working hard with our community colleagues to try and address this problem and so ensure that any future cancelations are minimised.

We take all comments from patients and visitors seriously and strive to ensure that we use them to continuously improve patient experiences.