"Choose and book neurosurgery appointment at QMC"

About: Queen's Medical Centre / Neurosurgery

My husband was referred for a neurosurgery out patients appointment by our GP. We were asked to book via Choose and Book and did this online and easily arranged an appointment.

We live nearly two hours from the hospital so have both had to take annual leave from work to attend. We have also had to arrange relatives to care for our children that day. Choose and Book gave us a range of dates and times so taking all of these factors into account we were able to book a convenient appointment.

Roughly a week later my husband received a letter saying that the appointment had been cancelled. He'd hadn't even had confirmation by this point. He now has no appointment booked and we are waiting to hear when the new appointment will be.

What is the point of providing a choice through Choose and Book if you are just going to cancel the appointment and then send one of your own convenience? A simple outpatients appointment for us involves lots of travelling and organisation at both home and work. A cancellation and no choice in rebooking is not helpful at all.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals Trust

Thanks for taking the time to feedback. I’m concerned to hear of your recent experience when booking an outpatient appointment at QMC. Please do contact me directly on 0115 924 9924 ext 61761 or via email at Laura.Griffiths2@nuh.nhs.uk and I’ll look into this further for you.