"having to wait so long means the condition has got worse"

About: HMP Stocken / Primary care

I made a request to see my dentist with the health care, I got my first appointment almost 8 months after I put in my first request.

I had to wait so long that I have a serious gum problem and then I had to wait another 3 months before I could see the hygienist.

With due respect, having to wait so long means the condition has got worse, I feel the waiting time is far too long in prison. I hope it can be improved.

Thank you for sharing your feelings about the dental treatment you waited so long to receive. I will pass on this posting to the dental team and see if they can let you know why you had to wait so long and that you would like to see the waiting times reduced.

Response from Graham McCrindle, Clinical Matron, HMP Stocken, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post you comments.

In response to this I can convey the following.

I am a little perplexed by the time delay stated.

The service level agreement for dental services is currently 6 weeks.

As the waiting list crept toward this maximum time limit, extra services where commissioned which has met this issue and has dramatically altered the waiting time.

This now stands at 4 weeks. We have also introduced extra Dental nurse triage clinics as it appeared that many of the people seeing the dentist did not actually need to, as their issue was resolved by the dental nurses at triage.

We did also have a large number of people not attending appointments generally within healthcare. We have also dramatically reduced these by the use of very simple measures of delivering appointments direct to prisoners cells ourselves and not using the prison system.

Any person suffering dental pain waiting for any appointment can ask for analgesia from nurses at medicine hatches or a general appointment which will hopefully reduce any discomfort they may have. Wing officers can also ring me to discuss issues brought to them by individuals.

I as Matron am always available to discuss any issues patients may have. I can be contacted by posting a Pals form, available on all wings and generally arrive with me swiftly.

I do hope this answers the issues you describe.