"Stitches left in!!!"

About: Burnley General Hospital

I have no main complaint about the service from Burnley and the treatment I got from the nurse concerned was great and reassuring as I was terrified of having extremely pain full stitches out of my foot after major reconstruction on my big toe (screws and staples).

However she left in a huge number of stitches, in fact out of three areas cut and stitched it was the main area!! She tinkered with them and then finally reassured me all the stitches were out. with the amount of pain I have been in during the episode I naturally was relieved and believed it was all over. Imagine my horror when removing my dressing some 2 weeks later I saw blue marks still in my foot! Yes the main cut was still stitched together.

I return to another department to see my consultant (5 weeks in total from surgery date) and insisted stitches were left in, they look and agreed it was poor service. They took them out (very painful at this stage) but did a good job and reassured me all the way.

Couldn't be bothered with the complaints service as you never get anywhere anyway apart from a more stressful life.

It doesn't give an option for 'other' department but it was Level 2 in for a 'Bunion'.

Response from Burnley General Hospital

I am sorry that you had a poor experience following your surgery with regard to the removal of your stitches. I am also sorry that you felt that you could not complain at the time as we would have fully investigated your concerns with regard to the stitch removal. I hope that you have made a good recovery from your surgery and thank you for taking time to post a comment on the NHS Choices web site