"Fractured Fibular not diagnosed"

About: George Eliot Hospital

I attended A&E with severe swelling and ankle pain. The doctor who saw me told me that I had not broken anything before I had lifted up my jeans and was incredibly dismissive. I tried to tell him that I had been to a Physio who had examined it in detail and suspected a stress fracture but he just cut me off. I was sent for an X-ray which I was not shown and told nothing was broken. Yesterday (18/03/13) I paid £200 for an MRI scan so convinced was I that there was something seriously wrong. The radiologist confirmed that my fibula is indeed fractured. Now I need to try and get an appointment with my GP for treatment after nearly a month since I incurred the injury. I have since rung NHS direct who were shocked to find that there was no radiologist report on my records which contravenes procedure. Apparently a radiologist should have reviewed my A&E X-ray to stop this exact situation from occurring.

Response from George Eliot Hospital

I am sorry that your experience was so poor and this certainly does not reflect a satisfactory standard of care. Please will you contact PALS on(024) 7686 5550 so that your concerns can be looked into in detail and the appropriate action taken.