"midwife kept making reference to my age"

About: Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh at Little France / Maternity care

A midwife who was working at my GP Practice kept making reference to my age which made me feel anxious and nervous about my pregnancy (even though I subsequently had a perfectly healthy pregnancy and delivery).

She wasn't the usual midwife at the surgery. On the first occasion (around 18 weeks) when I was in to have blood tests taken - she told me I WOULD receive a 'high risk' result for Downs because of my age and I should prepare myself for it. This resulted in an anxious wait of 10 days as I contemplated having an amniocentesis. The result came back low risk. Days of distress and worry for nothing.

On a second occasion - around 36 weeks - coming to the end of a very healthy, trouble free pregnancy she asked if my usual midwife had arranged an appointment with the consultant. When I asked why - she said because of your age: 'you're an older mother so you should see the consultant because of potential complications with delivery'. Not really what you want to hear a few weeks before an impending first birth. And I never heard from the consultant - so think it was something she made up.

Her manner was totally out of order and not reassuring in the slightest. I had a healthy baby, no problems throughout the pregnancy and no problems with the delivery. In fact, I managed a drug free delivery, supported by lovely midwives at the infirmary.

Midwives should not let their personal opinions about age interfere with the care and support they are there to provide. I must stress that any other midwives I encountered made no reference to the age thing, in fact all others were very positive and reassuring.

Response from Stuart Wilson, Director of Communications and Public Affairs, NHS Lothian

We are sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience. If you would like this to be investigated please contact Complaints.Team@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk