"Appointment at Cumberland Centre meant another trip to Derriford"

About: Cumberland Centre Derriford Hospital Tamar Referral & Appointments Centre

- As I work away from home I had limited times to make an appointment. It had to be when I was in Devon. An appointment was made for me as I wasn’t home when Tamar Referral phoned. I had to cancel this and then rebook, then I had to rebook again as something came up with my work. I was told that if I changed again that I would have to go back to my GP of another referral!

- Originally I was booked at Derriford, which was great, but then I was told I would have to go back to the cumberland centre. I questioned whether the equipment was as good and they assured me it was. When I attended the appointment, the equipment wasn’t as good so they had to make an appointment at Derriford when what they needed didn’t show up on the ultrascan.

- I drove all the way from hereford for the appointment - 3 hours and then someone phoned me at 2. 00 at the cumberland centre on my mobile to cancel the appointment but didn’t as I had already arrived at the cumberland centre.

- When I arrived home there was a letter for me about the appointment that had only arrived that day.

Response from Mary Anderson, Senior Quality Facilitator, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Good morning

Firstly, can I apologise for the confusion around your appointment. I would be happy to look into your concerns with regard to communications from Derriford Hospital and if you would like to speak to me, I can be contacted on 01752 439751 today, but won't be back in the office again until Friday.

I am sorry for the frustration and inconvenience this episode has caused and hope that we can speak soon to better understand where communications broke down.

Response from Gemma Smith, Tamar Referral & Appointments Centre (TRAC)

Dear ‘Snow110’,

Thank you for sharing your comment with us about the TRAC team, I can only apologise that in this instance it was not a positive one. At TRAC we are able to contact patients once the GP has completed the referral, if a patient needs to rebook an appointment more than twice we would advise the patient to return to their GP for further advice which could result in a repeat referral.

I would like to look into this further and understand what went wrong for you. If you would like to contact me I am available on 01626 883712 from Monday to Friday from 9am until 5pm. Alternatively you can also email me at cab.helpdesk@nhs.net.

Best Wishes