"Contacting hospital."

I spent 34 minutes waiting in a queue before I was cut off. Same thing happened the day before. I will have to go back to my GP to get them to make my appointment. What a waste of time and manpower!

Response from Queen Mary's Hospital Sidcup

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry that you are having problems telephoning our ophthalmology department.

I have contacted the managers in the department, who have explained that because the reception area gets very busy at peak hours of the day it is sometimes necessary to leave the phone unanswered in order to provide face to face service to the patients in the clinic at the time. The managers of the department are aware of this and they are working to find solutions.

As well as the number on your appointment card, you can also try the following contact numbers. Please do hold on as it may still take time for these phones to be answered.

'Hot desk' managed by secretaries/typist: 0208 302 2678 ext 4540

'Rapid Access Unit': 0208 302 2678 ext 4295

The current number in the main reception is: 0208 302 2678 ext 5450

You can also contact our PALs department who should be able to help rearrange appointments and get in touch with the department for you. They can be contacted on: Tel: 020 8308 5449 Email: slh-tr.qm-pals@nhs.net