"Car parking machine queues"

About: Peterborough City Hospital

I recently accompanied, to the Hospital, a friend who had an Outpatient appointment.

I waited for him in the Main Entrance area on the ground floor. The floor show was very amusing. At times the queues, to use the car parking machines, were very long and as there was no indication or direction of where the queue should form it was utter chaos. At one time the queue formed in a curved direction from the machines towards the stairs thus blocking that side of the hall. Later if took the direction of straight across the Hall and then curved down towards the entrance, thus blocking the other side of the Hall. Then even better - the queue went straight across the Hall and into the Deli Marche Restaurant and I observed many people entering the Restaurant circumnavigating the queue and coming out of the Restaurant on the other side. Surely the machines could be placed in a better location - perhaps along the glass wall between the two entrance doors - move some of the seats and erect a double rail down the centre of the Hall with an idication that this is where the queue must form for the machines. On two occasions I saw and heard members of Staff telling those queueing that there are machines outside and directing them towards these - a better solution would be to put this information on a large board above the internal machines so that if the queue is long people could make an informed choice immediately and thus prevent some of the longer queues in the Hall.

I sat near the information board which gives details of the different happenings and news about various departments in the Hospital. I am English speaking a quick reader and I sometimes found it impossile to read all the information given on a 'page' before it flicked over on to the next one. Someone who does not have English as a first language and/or is not a proficient reader would find this very frustrating and not everyone has the time to watch the information through several times. In this time of technology surely the screen times could be adjusted to the amount of information that needs to be digested on each individual page.

Response from Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Thank you for your comments and for sharing with us your obesrvations regarding the car parking machines and the information board.

I fully appreciate how this must have looked to you and we are aware that at time the queues for the car parking machines can obstruct the flow in the main atrium. I am pleased to advise you that we have recently received approval to install additional parking machines and I am hopeful that the installation of these additional machines will negate the need for queues.

Your comments regarding the speed with which the automated information screen changes is a very valid one. I have just been down there myself and witnessed the page refresh times and fully agree with your observations.. I will be passing your comments onto our communications team to see if the timings on the screens can be modified.

Once again thank you for taking time to feedback such valuable comments to us and I hope that next time you visit you will notice some changes.

Response from Peterborough City Hospital

I fully appreciate how this must have looked to you and we are aware that at time the queues for the car parking machines can obstruct the flow in the main atrium. I am pleased to advise you that we have recently installed additional parking machines and I am hopeful this will negate the need for queues.