"appauling service"

About: Gravesham Community Hospital

Taking my 2 year old grandson to Gravesend minor injuries today who had received a knock on his eye from play school i was told to take a number and sit down. then noticed a board which said two and a half hour wait. Speaking to another patient who had waited three hours and seen no body i gave up. How can you keep a child of that age there for that amount of time with no stimulation, food or drink. I would like a reply to this as i am disgusted with what went on. There was no communication from staff.

Response from Karen Edmunds, Head of Patient Experience and Public Engagement, Engagement Team, Kent Community Health NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Hello, I'm so sorry you have had such a negative experience when attending the minor injury unit with your grandson. I completely understand your frustration and I will be asking the service manager to provide a response to you via Patient Opinion. If you have any further concerns please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Care Team on 0300 123 1807 Email:kcht.cct@nhs.net

Best wishes

Karen

Response from Karen Edmunds, Head of Patient Experience and Public Engagement, Engagement Team, Kent Community Health NHS Trust We have made a change

Hello, just to give you an update. I have heard from the service manager.

However, when patients are registered they are assessed by their injury and treated accordingly. Therefore they may be seen more quickly than the time shown. We would always encourage people with small children to speak to a member of staff about any concerns.

We are very sorry that on this occasion you felt there was no communication from staff. This situation should improve from April when the reception will have staff at all times. We will share your feedback with the team and discuss whether they need to add any additional information for people with children needing treatment about waiting times and talking to the receptionist if they are concerned.

Once again, please accept our apologies.

Best wishes

Karen

Response from Gravesham Community Hospital

Hello, I'm so sorry you have had such a negative experience when attending the minor injury unit with your grandson. I completely understand your frustration and I have asked the service manager to provide a response to you. She says that on occasions the reception at Gravesham Minor Injury Unit (MIU) is not staffed. Because of this they have introduced a ticket machine, and MIU staff keep the waiting times updated on the board behind reception. They try to make sure these are accurate, and at busy times people may have to wait two to three hours.

We are very sorry that on this occasion you felt there was no communication from staff. This situation should improve from this month (April 2013) when the reception will have staff at all times. We will share your feedback with the team and discuss whether they need to add any additional information for people with children needing treatment about waiting times and talking to the receptionist if they are concerned.

Once again, please accept our apologies.

Karen Edmunds