"A&E"

About: Pilgrim Hospital

My husband who is an insulin dependant diabetic for 27 years had a bad fall on the 28th Feb.He sustained an injury above his left eye which immediately swelled to a large size.I phoned our local surgery and they told me to take him to A&E.As I have just had foot surgery and cannot walk very far I called for an ambulance.My husband is 73 years of age and suffers from every side effect of long term diabetes and has also had 2 mini strokes which has left him with extremely bad balance problems.I was worried that he might have fractured his skull or have a brain bleed.

But what I wasn't prepared for was a doctor from A&E phoning me and asking why I phoned 999 for an ambulance.Is this the the brave new world of the NHS when a layman has to decide whether an admission to hospital is necessary?

On the plus side a nurse was very kind to my husband and got him a sandwich and a cup of tea.

Thank you for leaving your feedback here at Patient Opinion - I have tried to find out why a doctor from A&E would contact you about having called an ambulance but have been unable to track this down. I am sorry this happened; as you say you had no other means of transport and were concerned for your husband and if anyone felt you were using ambulance services inappropriately I would suspect the paramedics would have mentioned this themselves. I am glad that this aside your husband was well cared for and thank you again for telling us about your experience.

Response from Pilgrim Hospital