"Initial consultation"

About: West Cornwall Hospital (Penzance)

After waiting several weeks for an appointment with a female consultant, I arrived at the hospital at 8:30 for a 9:00 appointment. Staff who weighed and measured me were wonderful and I sat back in the waiting area, to await being called by a consultant with the title Mrs.

An elderly gentleman arrived at 8:50 for his appointment. At 9:05 the elderly gentleman was called by the consultants assistant.

To my horror and dismay, my name was then called by a young male consultant. When I stated that my appointment was with a female consultant, I was told that this was not possible as they were a "Team" and patients were divided accordingly.

Accordingly to what ? Obviously I am just an NHS number and my wishes, emotions etc were not taken into consideration. Could they not have asked me if I would mind seeing a male consultant ? I was emotionally distressed to begin with (a very personal subject to be discussed, followed by a possible examination). I was then told by a different nurse that if I was prepared to wait, maybe a female consultant could see me between other patients.

Why couldn't the male consultant have switched a patient with her ?

By this time I was extremely upset and felt that I couldn't go through with my appointment. Therefore, I left without seeing anyone.

Thankyou to nurse who gave me much needed comfort and understanding and let me cry on her shoulder. I just wish that the consultants themselves had afforded me the same understanding and consideration....

Response from West Cornwall Hospital (Penzance)

We are sorry that you were not happy with all aspects of your care but thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.