"Care of the elderly"

About: Royal Oldham Hospital / Gastroenterology

In November I was admitted with gall bladder problems. Although the care given to myself was adequate (I am 68) some of the more elderly ladies on the ward were treated with a lack of compassion.

An old lady of over 90 had to repeatedly wait for toilet facilities to be taken to her.

I felt some of the nurses thought she was a nuisance and seemed to deliberately make her wait.

One old lady was shouting out how cold she was but nobody came to her aid. I had to get out of bed and walk the full length of the ward to tell them she needed assistance.

My husband has also been in the hospital. After an accident, he had to wait three days to have his wound drained. Okay except that he was on nil by mouth for those days and each day his operation was cancelled at tea time. However, there was no food available for him to eat. He had to ring me to bring food into the ward. A packet of sandwiches could have been put on one side for him. He said he felt like the invisible man. What happens to elderly people who have nobody to take food into the hospital?

Response from Royal Oldham Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment regarding your stay at the Royal Oldham Hospital. We are very sorry to read you were not happy with the service we provided for you while you were an in-patient. If you wish us to investigate your concerns, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0161 604 5897 and provide my details.