"Pain during colonoscopy"

About: Western Infirmary/Gartnavel General / General Surgery

I had this procedure done about 4 years ago. Never have I ever felt pain like it. Not childbirth, not fracturing my ankle. The sedation was a joke.

Yesterday at the hospital I was told I need another possibly within 3 weeks, but after spending a sleepless night thinking about it, I think I am going to cancel it.

I cannot use Entonox (not even during childbirth), and would prefer a general anaesthetic, but have heard reports that you cannot have one on the NHS.

I thought I was the only person who could not tolerate the colonoscopy, but after looking on-line, it seems that there are many others who seem to have had the same ghastly experience.

It is 2013 for goodness sake, not the dark ages, let's have a bit of thought from the hierarchy in the medical world about what they could do to ease patients pain.

Response from Paul Cannon, Head of Administration, Acute Services Division, Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide your feedback.

I am sorry that this posting was not acknowledged at the time, we had a break in our use of Patient Opinion, but we have now resumed doing so, and I thought it was still important to acknowledge your posting.

I hope that you did go ahead with your investigation or at the very least had an opportunity to discuss your concerns with your GP or a member of the Hospital clinical team.