"111 arranged a hospital appointment for me"

About: Croydon University Hospital / Accident and emergency Harmoni / NHS 111 London Ambulance Service NHS Trust

I called the 111 service a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday morning. I had had a pain in my hip since Thursday but by Saturday I couldn't walk.

I called the 111 number and they were excellent. The were able to arrange an appointment at lunch time at Mayday Hospital the same day. (In fact, I could have had an even earlier appointment but this one was the most convenient for me)

I went to the hospital appointment and was seen on time. I was given some medicine and something to settle my stomach from the anti-inflammatories I had been taking any they arranged for me to have some crutches from A&E before I left.

This was the second time I have used the 111 number. The time before I called them because I have a friend who is an alcoholic. He had been on a binge and he was in bed having not eaten anything.

I called my doctor for some advice and he told me to ring the 111 number. Again the service was excellent. They arranged for an ambulance to come and pick him up. They also informed me it would be not be a blue lights and siren ambulance.

Response from NHS 111 Service Director, Harmoni

Thank you for your feedback on the NHS 111 service that we provide. We are really pleased to hear that you have had a positive experience on both of the occasions you used the NHS 111 service. We are glad that you found the service excellent, were seen on time and felt informed.

Thank you again for using the Patient Opinion website to provide feedback on our services.

Response from Croydon University Hospital

Thank you for your kind comments on the NHS111 service which we have passed onto the team who run the service and we are glad you got a convenient appointment at our hospital.