"Residents discharge from hospital"

About: East Surrey Hospital South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

(as other),

Last week one of my residents was sent home at 5. 30 pm. The hospital staff were aware that I was off duty at 4. 30 but said that it just needed someone to let the lady in. My husband offered to unlock when the resident arrived but the ambulance driver said that he had not been told that she needed to go upstairs and was not prepared to leave her as there was no one to offer her care. He decided that he had a duty of care and would take her back to the hospital.

I understand the driver then went on to take another patient to another facility where he discussed my resident and said that the warden had refused to take her. As I stated earlier the hospital were aware that I would be off site as my hours are 8. 30 to 4. 30 pm.

The following morning the hospital rang to say that my resident was on her way home and questioned the fact that I had refused to accept her the previous evening. I told them what had happened and in fact other residents here had overheard the ambulance driver on his telephone saying that he would not leave the patient and was bringing her back to the hospital.

I am disgusted that the driver went on to another facility and discussed my resident's case. Fortunately I am well known in the caring profession and people were extremely upset to have heard such comments about me.

Response from Eloise Clarke, Communications Manager, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear 'unhappy warden'

I am sorry to hear about the mix up over times, but also I am sorry to hear that members of the crew were discussing cases with other people.

I have forwarded your comment to my colleagues at the Ambulance Service, and I will post their response when I receive it. Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, I have passed it on to the relevant teams here for information.

Many thanks