"High standard of nursing care on Hazelwood Ward"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General medicine

I recently spent a week as an inpatient at East Surrey Hospital and was hugely impressed with the standard of nursing care I received during my stay, particularly on Hazelwood Ward.

The nurses work extremely hard in very testing circumstances and, despite this, they still manage to treat each patient with care and dignity.

The doctors would do well to learn from the nurses and treat each patient on a more personal level rather than just seeing the illness. Often I found the doctors talking over me as if I was not there and this left me feeling bewildered and confused.

I found the ward clean and a friendly place with nurses and support staff, such as the housekeeping lady, working hard to ensure the level of care was excellent. My only real criticism is the quality and variety of the food served which was poor at best.

Dear Ladypebbles,

Thank you for your comments about Hazelwood Ward.

As the Director responsible for food I'm sorry that you found the quality and variety of food to be poor. If you wished to do so I would be very happy to discuss your concerns.

I can be contacted by calling 01737 231988 or e-mailing ian.mackenzie@sash.nhs.uk