"The ups and downs of Holmwood"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Cardiology

I had to have a lot of blood taken whilst on Holmwood ward and the female doctor that took the first lot was really kind and gentle despite having a hard time finding a suitable place from which to take the blood from me.

However, the male doctor had just the same problem but instead of being careful just jammed the needle into my wrist took it out a little then jammed it in again. This caused me a great deal of pain, which went down into my hand and up my arm. The pain was so great that I cried out and ended up in tears after he had gone.

When I touch my wrist now, three weeks later, I still get a tingling in my hand and arm and it itches quite a lot.

Needless to say if I am in Holmwood ward again, this particular doctor will not come near me with a needle!

The nurses in the ward were extremely kind and helpful, I couldn't have had better treatment from any of them.

On another matter, I never saw the ward floor washed or hoovered during my stay, and the over the bed tray wasn't cleaned and I didn't have a waste bag for two days, and only once did I get fresh water and ice. I also felt that food for those with gluten free diet was poor.

Over all my stay was not a happy one and I hope I don't have to go into hospital again for a very long time. Having said that, I am still having my symptoms that I was admitted for, so nothing has changed for me.

Response from Eloise Clarke, Communications Manager, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear 'Starreyeyes'

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to read that your stay was a mix of experiences - some good and some bad.

I have passed on your comments to the matron on Holmwood.

Thanks, Eloise Clarke, Communications Manager.