"Delay with operation at Raigmore Hospital"

About: Raigmore Hospital / General Surgery

Referred to Raigmore Hospital from elsewhere for personal reasons, which had been explained in my referral letter by GP. Seen at outpatients by a locum doctor and referred for surgery, told I would be done within two months but could not give me name of my surgeon that day.

After a month I contacted Raigmore and yesterday a voicemail from a secretary to inform me that I had been referred BACK to the place where my GP specified I did not want my surgery. I have good reasons for this, and I only left Highland area 6 months ago and my husband ( our family home) is in the Raigmore catchment area. Today I'm upset and crying after enduring a painful condition since August, trying to work full-time hours myself in the NHS. Secretary's number just ringing out. As an NHS worker myself, I try and support the NHS and I feel defensive when it is criticised. Today I'm on the other side and I can see why people get upset and angry.

Response from Elaine Mead, Chief Executive, NHS Highland

dear alijangra (as the patient)

I am very sorry that you have been frustrated and upset whilst waiting for your appointment for surgery.

It does appear that there is some confusion about this appointment and if you would like to call 01463 704977 I will try to find out more about the difficulties that you have experienced and try to sort out the problem.

Elaine Mead