"Hospital Comment"

About: Salisbury District Hospital

My father was brought in for a broken hip after a fall in a care home. He was given a hip replacement the next day. His arm was very bruised where he had fell. I would have thought this would have been X-rayed. Three weeks later he was due to be released. My wife (a nurse) thought his wrist didn't look to good, and asked for his wrist to be X-rayed before his release. This happened. It turned out his wrist was badly fractured, and was then put in a plaster, delaying his release. The obvious question is : how can all these doctors have seen my father for 3 weeks, asking him to attempt to pick up a Zimmer frame with a broken wrist, yet failed to spot it? Whereas my wife spotted it straight away.

Although the ward staff were friendly to my father, I felt awkward interrupting them trying to ask about his status, as they always appeared to be otherwise engaged.

Response from Salisbury District Hospital

Thank you for telling us about your father’s recent stay in Salisbury District Hospital after he suffered a fall.

If you would like to discuss your questions with us, please can you get in touch and give us more details? The best person to contact is your father’s consultant’s secretary here at the hospital.

We hope that your father is continuing to recover well.