"Discharge of vulnerable adults without carers knowledge"

About: Royal Bournemouth General Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

(as a carer),

Mother was discharged without notifying family or carer, to a Rehab unit, from Hospital to free up beds. I believe she was discharged because an inspection was happening that day, and beds were down the middle of the wards, with overcrowding.

She was sent there in pain, with no medication for a fractured pelvis. Until discharge, she was on Orimorph and other pain relief. It took another day to obtain medicines via a GP.

When I tried to find her, the hospital staff did not know where she was. When asked how to find my mother, I was told to ask main reception where she had been sent, as ward staff had no idea.

Response from Sue Mellor, Patient Experience Lead, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

We are sincerely sorry that your mother received care far below the high quality of standards we aspire to.

We would welcome further discussions with you and be grateful if you would make contact with a member of our PALS team on 01202 704886

or with with myself on 01202 704253.

Again we apologise to your mother and to yourself and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We wish your mother a speedy recovery.