"Accessing outpatients appointment for hepatology"

About: Queen's Medical Centre / Hepatology

I had an extremely bad time in 2012. I had been diagnosed with gall bladder problems that meant it needed to come out.

My doctor referred me to QMC and explained to them that I had additional health needs, this led to a 6 week wait for an initial appointment.

During this time I developed pancreatitis which re occurred twice. I was in constant pain and only out of hospital and at home for two days due to re admissions between August and October.

The constant pain, emotional distress, stress to my family and impact on my work record has been traumatic to say the least. Intervention and initial assessment for people with additional health needs should be paramount and not left to get worse. This amounted to reactive care rather than proactive care.

When I was poorly and on a ward I asked for the hepatology consultant to see me, only to be told 'he doesn't make visits and I would have to go back on to the out patients list'.

My partner threatened to record them discharging me in such a distressed and poorly state.

Response from Jessica Haggett, Patient Experience Officer, Communications, Nottingham University Hospitals Trust

Thank you for getting in touch.

Might I ask that you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 183 0204 so that we can look into this promptly for you and provide the answers that you rightly deserve.