"A recent lumbar puncture"

About: Broomfield Hospital / Neurology

Following a brain scan which suggested a diagnosis of MS a lumbar pucture appointment was made in order to confirm diagnosis. Despite several attempts taking 90 minutes doctors (2) were unable to obtain a sample.

I wrote to the consultant requesting a guided lumbar pucture, have been told no and given various reasons all acceptable up to a point.

What I don't understand is why a guided lumbar puncture wasn't requested in the first place? I have been told my brain scan suggests MS. I really need a definite diagnosis as this would give me access to a named nurse etc

Response from Jonathon Wright, Patient Experience and Voluntary Services Manager, Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust

Dear StephanieJ,

Thank you for taking time to give feedback on your care at Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust.

I am unable to answer your specific question on why you were not given a guided lumbar puncture initially on Patient Opinion so would encourage you to email me directly with your contact details where I will be able to assist you further with questions around your care.

Email address: jonathan.wright@meht.nhs.uk

Regards,

Jonathan Wright

Patient Experience & Voluntary Services Manager

Response from Jonathan Wright, Patient Experience & Voluntary Services Manager, Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust

Dear StephanieJ

I have liaised with the consultant that is involved with your care. The consultant is writing to you today to give you answers to your questions and to let you know what steps we will take with you regarding your care with us.

If you have any further questions please do not have hesitate to contact me.

Regards