"Discharge planning and dignity"

About: Tameside General Hospital

(as a volunteer/advocate),

When I told the nurse on a ward at Tameside General Hospital last week that an elderly patient ready for discharge had no set of clothing (although they had bought a bag of clothing in with them on admission) I was informed that it's common practice in such cases for older people to be discharged home in their nightclothes and a blanket.

When I raised a concern about lack of dignity I was told this is normal practice.

I am concerned that people should not be discharged from hospital in their night clothes.

Response from John Goodenough, Director of Nursing, Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback. Privacy and Dignity is of paramount importance to us. I can assure you that wherever possible all patients are discharged inappropriate attire.

I will ensure your posting is shared amongst the staff.

John Goodenough

Director of Nursing

Would you like to help the hospital to improve its services further? We are currently looking for patients and carers to become involved in a development called “Patient Stories”. We want to know more about our services from the point of view of those who received them – what was good, bad, what could be improved, what should be changed. Want to know more about what’s involved? Please contact John Goodenough, Director of Nursing at john. goodenough@tgh. nhs. uk