"I did not feel like my participation was important..."

About: Ashford Hospital

I was very happy that I was offered 6 weeks physiotherapy for my bad back.

The staff were not always interested in whether each patient were doing the exercises well. For one exercise only at the last session was I informed that I had not been doing the exercise properly.

The sessions did not start promptly at any of the sessions. One session started nearly 30 minutes late and was therefore for only 30 minutes instead of a full hour.

Response from Ashford Hospital

The physiotherapy team leader at Ashford is concerned to hear about your experience and has taken your feedback on board and spoken to the relevant staff to try and improve services in the future. We are sorry that you felt you did not receive adequate supervision from the therapist – many of our classes are very well attended and it is not always possible for the therapist to go round individually and review each exercise. The emphasis of most classes is to show patients how to self-manage their problem through exercises they can do at home longer term. We apologise the sessions started late and did not always run for the full hour. Our therapists also treat patients on the ward and individual outpatients and sometimes unavoidable delays do happen, but staff should always explain the circumstances of any delays and keep patients well informed. If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail please contact Julia Farnworth, Ashford Physiotherapy Team Leader, on 01784 884488.