About: Liverpool Womens Hospital

I had a horrible experience when I gave birth at the woman's. What I hoped would be a calm drug free experience became overly medicalised. I felt pressured into having an induction I didn't want or need in order to birth within the timeframe they felt I should.

I was forced to lie on my back for baby to be monitored despite there being no reason for continuous monitoring. Once forced onto my back I felt unable to cope with the contractions I'd been managing well for 21 hours, I requested diamorphine, my progress halted at this stage and led to a second lot of diamorphine, a failed epidural, induction and eventual ventouse delivery.

The care I received from one midwife post natally and some of her I'll advised comments made me lose all faith in my ability to breastfeed and ultimately I bowed to her pressure to formula feed.

I would not recommend the women's to anymore. Although their treatment of me following my son's birth has been faultless. The care and compassion from the consultant midwife has been amazing and it is largely due to him that I am happy to be pregnant again. Although I am planning a homebirth this time.

The staff could take the time to understand that whilst they've seen it all hundreds of times for a lot of women in their care it's their first baby and they're scared and need compassion, understanding, patience, time and to feel involved in decision making. Not made to feel like an inconvenience and a petulant child.

Response from Anne Bridson, Corporate Matron for Patient Experience, Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Mrs KP,

firstly I would like to apologise for the delay in responding to your comments. I am saddened and disappointed to hear that your experience was not what we would expect.

I am glad to hear that you are under the care of the consultant midwife but if you should wish to speak further about your experience, please get in touch via anne.bridson@lwh.nhs.uk so I can arrange this.

With best wishes

Anne Bridson, Matron for Patient Experience

Response from Liverpool Womens Hospital

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to your comments especially when you had such a negative experience.

Please would you get in touch with me to discuss your experience in more detail, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

My email address is anne.bridson@lwh.nhs.uk I am the Matron for Patient Experience