"Fearing further miscarriages"

About: Chelsea & Westminster Hospital / Gynaecology University College Hospital / Gynaecology University College Hospital Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Wing / Gynaecology

Since my first miscarriage in 2008 I have had miscarriage in 2009, had a baby girl premature and she lived 23 minutes.

2010 miscarriage 2011 miscarriage.

Now I don't know what to do. I don't try now because I still feel fear. Me and my husband really want a baby. I was even thinking to adopt but my husband don't want that.

If my friends have a newborn baby I don't congratulate them or if they are pregnant. I still see my gp.

Friends said go private, but I can't afford that. I work as carer for an agency and don't get paid much.

Response from Ruth Bender Atik, National Director, The Miscarriage Association

Dear Istar

I'm so sorry to read of the huge sadness you have been through with the loss of your daughter and the other 3 babies you lost through miscarriage. As much as you and your husband want a baby, it must be very hard to imagine putting yourself through this again, worrying all the time about having another loss.

I do hope that your doctors will refer you for some tests to see if there is a clear reason for your losses. In the meantime, you might find it helps to get support and information from the Miscarriage Association - www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk. Whether you read our leaflets, call our helpline or talk to other bereaved parents in our support forum, I hope it might help you - and your husband - at this very difficult time.

The Miscarriage Association

Update posted by Istar (the patient)

Thank you Ruth.