"A most impressive performance by all staff."

About: St Helier Hospital

I was taken to Accident and Emergency by ambulance with a suspected heart attack or diabetes problem. The staff were meticulous in checking my symptoms and after several tests suggested I remain overnight. A bed was found in Ward A1 where again I was again treated with efficiency and courtesy. I was discharged the following morning and would like to express my thanks to all the staff.

I was in the A & E Dept on a Saturday evening where the staff were bracing themselves for the usual influx of drink and drug cases. The disruption caused was efficiently dealt with, but I would suggest that -

1. Treatment for 'self-induced' problems should no longer be free.

2. A separate and secure unit with enhanced security for staff could be set up to admit such cases.

3. A policy of zero tolerance for disruptive behaviour should be enforced.

Response from St Helier Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to comment about the care you received at St Helier Hospital.

I am sorry to hear you weren't well and hope you have made a good recovery?

I have taken the liberty of passing your comments on to the teams involved, including A&E and ward A1. I know your feedback will be appreciated by all of the staff.

Thank you also for your feedback about security and other matters. Importantly, I would like to reassure you that we do have a zero tolerance approach when it comes to violent, aggressive and other inappropriate behaviour and we have excluded patients in the past.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Pippa Hart