"Poor communication about waiting times at opthalmology clinic"

About: New Victoria Hospital / Ophthalmology

I recently accompanied my wife to an appointment at the opthalmology clinic. Half an hour after the appointment time, my wife was seen for a minute to be given eye drops and told that somebody would be back for her in 20 minutes. She was not seen until nearly two hours later, and I had to go and get somebody as we were not seen by any staff during this time.

I appreciate that appointments run over and staff are busy, but there was no explanation given to us at all, no information, and nobody seemed to care. Patients need to be kept informed - it's not a problem if appointments are running late, but let us know! We just felt thrown aside.

Response from Paul Cannon, Head of Administration, Acute Services Division, Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the ophthalmology clinic at the Victoria Hospital, I was very concerned to read that you felt cast aside, I am sure that staff in the department will also be very sad to read these comments.

Patients and their relatives should be kept informed of what is happening in the clinic and I am sure the staff involved will reflect on your very unfortunate experience to ensure that this is the exception rather than the rule.

Once again thank you for your feedback, it is very important to have these comments.

Response from Claire Maguire, Staff Nurse, Ophthalmology, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde We have made a change

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that you had cause for complaint following your visit to our department.

Sometimes our clinics do run later than the appointment time given due to one reason or another. With regards to someone telling your wife they would be back for her in 20 minutes may perhaps have been confused with the amount of time it takes for the dilating eyedrops to work, which is 20-30 minutes.

I along with my fellow colleagues have taken your feedback on board and we have now put in place the following changes: -

* Clearly writing on the information board at the clinics reception desk what clinic/s are running late and how late they may be running.

* Informing all patients verbally either on an individual basis or by announcing clinic running times in the clinics waiting room.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to let us know all about this. I hope this is an acceptable response and once again I apologise.

With regards