"Absolutely disgusting."

About: William Harvey Hospital

My mother in law is in Bethesden Ward and my husband was appalled at the lack of care provided to the patients.

Patients waiting over 30 minutes to be provided with a bed pan, sometimes too late.

Patients being left on bed pans for 45 minutes with resultant bed pan spillage in beds.

Food is cold when served. No attempt made to aid those too weak to eat.

No food served to mother in law as she was in toilet when food brought round.

Dressing on abscess not changed.

Patients ringing the bell for attention then being told not to ring bell as busy when staff standing round chatting.

Nine nurses have been asked to change dressing round stoma bag. This had not been done since last Thursday and came off today when another abscess was found to have formed .

Having been an in patient myself for a hysterectomy at which time the care I received was excellent it is even more shocking to see the total contrast between the wards.

We appreciate that over holiday times staff might be reduced but there is no excuse for the blatant neglect for patients in your care.

Response from Steven Hams, Deputy Chief Nurse and Head of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank your or taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am sorry to hear of the poor standards of care that you witnessed at the William Harvey Hospital. You describe a number of areas where we have fallen below our normally high standards of care and treatment for which I would like to apologise. I will pass on your comments to nursing management team responsible for Bethesden Ward who will raise the issues with staff.

If you would like to raise your concerns formally I would be grateful if you could contact the Patient Experience Team who would be happy to help, they can be contacted by calling 01227 783145 or 01227 864314 or by email to patientexperience@ekht.nhs.uk

Thanks again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, we very much appreciate it.

Response from William Harvey Hospital

I am very sorry to hear about your family's experience. Please do contact the Patient Experience Team on 01227 783145 or PatientExperience@ekht.nhs.uk in order for us to assist.

Kind Regards