"Our Baby with Diabetes"

About: Raigmore Hospital / General Medicine Royal Hospital for Sick Children (Edinburgh) Scottish Ambulance Service

Our 19th month has just ben diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She was litterally on deaths door when the paramedics picked her up from our home and drove 50 miles to raigmore (with myself in hot persuit ).

The resuss team at Raigmore where absolutely brilliant . They explained who they were and what they were doing and why. They made myself and my partner feel at ease at the things they had to do to our little girl. Unfortunately as Raigmore has no ICU dept, Our baby and my partner were transfered to the Royal Hospital For Sick Children a few hours later.

My partner had no money, Change of clothes or phone charger with her and was constantly worried about losing touch with me. The team were magnificent with her and thankfully a week later I picked them up from Edinburgh. I cant fault any of the teams at either hospital. I would have liked a little more support for my partner. A meal or cup of tea would have been so much appreciated.

Luckily financial support came from a patient transfer from My partners Father ( who luckily works for the NHS elswhere ). This information really needs to be made readily available for people who are basically stranded. This is a small complaint. if you call it a complaint. All together I cant fault anything. After all our little girl is still with us today.

Response from NHS Lothian

Many thanks for your complimentary comments regarding our service.

I will pass this on to the Royal Hosiptal for Sick Children's team and also ask them to address the issue you have highlighted regarding support for relatives.

Many thanks

NHS Lothian

Response from Maimie Thompson, Head of Public Relations and Engagement, Chief Executive's Office, NHS Highland

Thank you for telling us your story. What a roller coaster you have been on but hopefully now are happily at home able to enjoy Christmas as a family.

Modern medicine together with our skilled staff deliver fantastic life saving care. But we are also mindful that some of the other practical things, such as you have described also have an impact on coping. We will certainly look into this.

Feeling stranded and out of contact must have been awful and I am sure we can do things which will help others who find themselves in a similar situation.

Regards to all.