"South Petherton is clearly an NHS asset"

About: South Petherton Hospital Yeovil District Hospital / Older people's healthcare

I felt driven to make comment about my mother's recent stay in both Yeovil and South Petherton Hospitals.

In a week that saw damning evidence of less than adequate treatment of elderly patients I can only say that in general tems I was not witness to anything other than excellent treatment.

This period, which saw two trips to A & E admission to South Petherton twice and admission to MAU and Ward 9b, was all in the course of ten days. My only negative comment during this time would involve the treatment on MAU.

When she was first admitted she was soiling herself after a severe bout of diarrhoea. At 89 she found it quite difficult to deal with a late twenties man cleaning her down in a very private area.

We were struck by the difference in attitude of one nursing team to another. One team were extremely friendly and informative, always engaging my mother and explaining what was happening. Another team seemed to go about their work professionally but with a far less compassionate approach and almost with a lack of interest in the patient.

Having managed a large number of teams, I am acutely aware of the variation that can occur and very often the reason for this can be traced to the team leadership. My mothers treatment was particularly good at South Petherton, which is clearly an NHS asset. I was particularly impressed with the nurses and their matron.

Response from Lucy Nicholls, Development Officer, Somerset LINk

This story was submitted to Patient Opinion by the Somerset LINk, on behalf of a local resident who has sent us their story as part of our 'Patient Stories' project.

We are keeping a record of all stories that are sent to us, and asking providers to respond to the stories. We will be contacting Yeovil District Hospital and the Somerset Partnership Foundation Trust, who run South Petherton Community Hospital, and asking them both to respond to this story.

Many thanks to the person who has taken the time to send in their experience to us. It's good to hear such high praise about South Petherton Community Hospital.

Best wishes,

Response from Alison Male, PALS Officer, Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your valuable feedback following your experience at Yeovil District Hospital. Your comments will be passed to the relevant departments to ensure the Trust continues to improve patient care.

If you would like to discuss your feedback in more detail, please do not hestitate to contact Ali Male, Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) Officer on 01935 384706. Many thanks.

Response from Karen Howard-Grenville, PALS, Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Red13

Thank you very much for taking the time to make this positive posting.

I will be pleased to share your comments with all my staff.

We endeavour to provide patient centred care at South Petherton and it is really nice to know that we are achieving this.

Feedback from patients and their families is very important to us.

Many thanks,