"My wife's treatment for Macular Degeneration"

About: Raigmore Hospital / Ophthalmology

My wife is suffering from macular degeneration and attends Raigmore Hospital, Inverness for treatment.

For a long period of time she was treated in ward 1A where she was given an injection in her eye whilst laying down and then taken back to a recovery area.

In order to speed up the throughput of patients the procedure has changed whereby the injection is given whilst the patient is sat in a chair. As my wife suffers from arthritis in her neck and spondylitis, the position which she is asked to take causes her a great deal of discomfort and she is therefore not relaxed to take the injection. Once the treatment has been administered she is pushed out without any recovery time.

Whilst we appreciate that there are now more people being treated, surely some measure of the previous procedure could be retained in order to provide a better caring facility.

Thank you for taking the time to feed-back on your recent expereince. I have sent your feed-back to colleagues in Ward 1a and as well as other clinical colleagues to see how we might be able to make any improvements. In the mean time if you would like to speak to me personally please contact me by e-mail maimie.thompson@nhs.net or 01463 70 4927.

Regards

Maimie

Response from Maimie Thompson, Head of Public Relations and Engagement, Chief Executive's Office, NHS Highland We have made a change

Having further discussed your feed-back with staff I would like to share their comments.

“We should not be pushing patients out, but supporting them gently away from their area of treatment”, Consultant in Department of Ophthalmology.

And from the Senior Charge Nurse. “I have discussed these issues with clinic staff and they will make sure patients are comfortable before the procedure starts. I have also provided pillows to make the patient more comfortable. This should help the patient comfort.”

We take feed-back seriously and hope the changes we have introduced will benefit all patients. Thank you.