"My psychiatrist got me the right medication"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health (inpatient)

(as a service user),

It started when I flew in from Spain in 2002. I was psychotic and having a religious experience. I thought I had AIDS so I went to A & E.

By chance my psychiatrist happened to be there and got me into B2 ward where I was sectioned. I didn't really enjoy it but after about 3 weeks my psychiatrist said 'I know what's wrong with you; you have bi-polar disorder. You will have to take medication for the rest of your life. Good, I said.

After about 3 weeks I felt better and talked them out of the section and was able to get more freedom to go out and about. I was there about 3 months.

After discharge as we were homeless we got a flat and moved in. Life is now brilliant. I can look back and see that my psychiatrist recognised what was going on and got me the right medication.

Thank you for sharing your story of your journey through services.

I have passed on your posting to ward B2 for comment as I am sure they will be glad to hear about your recovery.