"Unhappy with my husband's visit to A&E at Princess Alexander hospital"

About: Princess Alexandra Hospital / Accident and emergency

My 67 year old husband was sent home from his work with very severe pains under his ribcage.

He went to A and E and was asked how painful his condition was, he replied: "quite severe". (And my husband had kept quiet about the pains for several days and is not a moaner or workshy man.)

He was sent to see a "nurse" who did not ask him any questions, did NOT examine him in any way and quite frankly seemed NOT bothered. She sent him away and told him to take paracetamol and gave him a number to phone if the condition did not get better. Well it did not.

I phoned the emergency doctor who later saw him and was very angry at his treatment at hospital. He has severe torn muscles and ligaments and he prescribed ibuprofen not paracetamol. Supposing he had had something wrong with his pancreas? Paracetamol could have made him very ill indeed.

He has been told to see how he is in three days time then to go to hospital for X-rays and blood tests. (I wonder if they will bother?)

Response from The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust

Dear Nutmeg,

It is heartbreaking to read your story, even though this was some time ago. Please get in touch to tell more of your story if you wish. We are expecting your call. The Patient Experience Team are on 01279 82 70 84.