"The A&E doctors, nurses and specialist doctors were all fantastic"

About: Emergency ambulance service (Avon) NHS Direct NHS Trust Royal United Hospital / Accident and emergency

I was losing a lot of blood and couldn't stop the bleeding for about 3 hours. I kept thinking it would slow down but it just got worse and worse. I then felt incredbly ill; faint, dizzy, shaky, just very unwell. I phoned NHS Direct who put me straight through to a nurse who called paramedics immediately. They arrived incredibly quickly - a paramedic car and an ambulance and they used a chair/stretcher to get me to the ambulance as by then I couldn't walk and was very ill. They monitored me and calmed me on the short trip to the RUH and were utterly fantastic throughout. The RUH then took over and I was moved from majors to high care to resusc within minutes as I was going into shock; they thought I had lost about half my blood and my haemoglobin was very low. The A&E doctors, nurses and specialist doctors were all fantastic and arranged for emergency surgery to stop the bleeding and a blood transfusion. Due to losing so much blood so fast the strain on my body could have resulted in a heart attack so I was very lucky. The care I received in A&E, surgery and the SAU ward was excellent and I am incredibly grateful to them all.

Response from Patrick Mulcahy, Head of Clinical Development, Great Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Dear Annabelle;

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experiences of using the NHS. I am sorry that your condition resulted in what must have been a traumatic and worrying time for you.

It is nice to hear that our staff were prompt and professional and made you feel at ease during this difficult time. I am pleased that we were able to play our part in ensuring that you received the care you needed to support your receovery and trust you are now feeling a lot better.