"The theatre staff were absolutely lovely..."

About: Sunderland Royal Hospital

The theatre staff were absolutely lovely and I think they need a great big thank you.

While on C30 in Sunderland Royal Hospital I was very worried and scared. When I asked for pain relief I had to wait for two hours every time, I was shouted at by a staff nurse after coming back from theatre and on the night of my operation I was shouted at by an Health Care Assistant who told me that I was not having pain in my chest and it was my stomach I was pointing to, this was not the case as it was my chest. I was not treated as a person but an illness in a bed and I certainly wasn’t given any dignity and respect that hospitals aim to give. Even the student nurses on this ward were not to what I expected as when I asked for pain relief I got told that they would ask the staff nurse and then never did. I also felt like more of a nuisance than a poorly patient.

I did feel as though the domestic staff were more helpful than the nursing staff. However I am grateful for the treatment I received as potentially it saved my life however I would not recommend this ward to my worst enemy.

Response from Sunderland Royal Hospital

Thank you for you comments, these have been passed on to the Directorate Manager responsible for Ward C30 so that we may formulate a full response. We would encourage you to email us at corporate.affairs@chs.northy.nhs.uk so that we can provide you with details of our investigation and a formal apology for this occurance.