"I went for a urgent Endoscopy..."

About: Milton Keynes Hospital

I went for a urgent Endoscopy appointment after a serve stomach problem . I was extremely upset and wrried about this appointment especially as the GP had mention the big C word. I was expecting a few months wait and got a appointment within 10 days which is fantastic.

The building was seprate from the main hospital and was extremly clean.

I was firs taken into a seprate room with a nurse to explain what was going to happen. They were really friendly and really made me feel calm as i was anxious.

I was then taken down to the procedure room. Again the staff nurses could not be more brillant. The calmed me down because i did go into a panic when they put the tube in my mouth. I wish the same could be said for the comsultant.

I liked the after care as well. The nurse made sure i was ok after Sedation and explained the results, gave me after care advice and asked if i had any questions. Could not have nicer.

Fantastic

When I was called about the appointment i was misinformed some information. I was told i would be knocked out for the Endoscopy , so when I went for the appointment and was told I would be sedated but awake I did panic. Lukly the staff nurse calmed me down otherwise I would have walked out. So a big credit to the nurse for their excellent patient care.

The rececptionist looked up once when i went to the desk, they then said " wait over there (and pointed and you wil be called" Not a great impression. But like i said all the staff nurses and porters were fantastic and should be given more credit then what they get .

The main consultant came across really unfrienly and lacked in what they call patient care. They could clearly see I had been crying and their response was a very blunt "this is the consent form, read it and sign it" .

I did panic when i got into the room and when the procedure was going on, all they said was stop moving and did not stop until i finished panicing. I understand the the clinic was busy and they had a lot of patients to get through but a little patient care does go along way.

The hospital i found is excellent. When I am being treated all I ask for is that the ward is clean and the problem I have been refefered for is resolved.

All I would say is the consultants need to be more patient friendly because it did feel like i was a number and crossed off and that was it.

Response from Milton Keynes Hospital

We welcome your feedback. We will work with reception team and doctors to ensure their communications are consistently as supportive as the nurses.