"Deep down I am really grateful"

About: Wathwood Hospital

I’ve been at Wathwood for 17 months. I was pretty ill at the time. After a few months I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. I didn’t know what was going on. I didn’t realise I had any illness but once I had accepted the illness and come to terms with reality and my offences, I wanted to get appropriate care and support to prevent relapse and become stable.

Gaining insight into the illness and medication I put a picture together of how to cope with the illness and the situation:

Be open and honest and you will do yourself a favour.

Try to gain better insight into your illness. Work with everyone to achieve this and to keep on top of your relapse prevention.

Deep down I am really grateful.

I’m here for treatment not punishment.

I work with the Wathwood Team to equip myself to deal with the illness and they help me to do this.

I’ve got a fantastic doctor, words can’t describe how good he is.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am sure it will inspire other people in similar situations to have hope for the future.The team at Wathwood and your doctor will be pleased to hear that they have made a difference to your recovery. I will ensure this is passed onto them.

Good luck.

Response from Involvement Team , Involvement & Experience, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

It’s very good to receive feedback and to note that things like relapse prevention are helping individuals

Phil Dickinson - Ward Manager Wathwood Hospital