"I was finding it hard to breath"

About: Rotherham Hospital / Respiratory medicine

I couldn’t breathe very well and I was frightened so my mum took me to A&E. I had to wait quite a long time but someone did come and talk to me in the waiting room to ask me some Q’s , I think he was a nurse. Then they took me into a little room and asked me to breathe and felt my back. They asked my mum questions which I normally don't like. Just because I have learning disabilities doesn't mean people should just talk to my mum, but I didn’t mind because I couldn’t breathe enough to talk for long. They said that I was a bit fat and they wanted me to eat more healthy. I eat lots of fruit now and have lost some weight but not enough. I can breathe better though. All the doctors have been nice but I didn’t like being told what to do.

Response from Helen Wyatt, Manager, Patient and Public Involvement , Quality Assurance Team, Rotherham Clinical Commissioning Group

Thanks for telling us about when you went to A & E.

I will ask staff to remember to talk to people, and not just carers and friends. But sometimes it does help to have someone with you when you are feeling really ill, to help answer questions.

Its great that you are eating healthily and have lost weight, and are feeling better. I agree that it is not nice being told what to do, but sometimes doctors have to tell us things for our own good. I know how you feel because my doctor has told me the same thing!