"I was a Patient in the Emergency ..."

About: Darlington Memorial Hospital

I was a Patient in the Emergency Department, following an episode of shortness of breath I was collected by the paramedics who where very kind and gave my details to a nurse. He very friendly, he moved me to a room and explained what was to happen, he clearly had a good knowledge of his job, he made me comfortable and he seemed to work with the health care nurse who was assisting him very well. I was given reassurance that I was ok, which allowed me to relax. I was then met by a female doctor, who never gave her name. However she was very professional and attended to my needs, she and the nurse explained that I would need to be admitted to the medical unit, as there were some possible causes for what I thought was a chest infection. I was very happy with my experience even though it was a very busy Sunday. I was admitted to the ward.

The Nurses and Doctors seemed very busy, the department had a lot of patients, and the police force were also in and out. More staff would have eased the pressure on the overworked staff

the staff were busy, but i still felt cared for

Response from Darlington Memorial Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and I am pleased to hear that you had a positive experience of the emergency department at Darlington Hospital. This is a busy department but the staff work extremely hard to continue delivering a high standard of patient care and the Trust is consistently meeting the 4 hour wait target. I will pass on your comments to the staff in the department.