"My 82 year old mother was admitted ..."

About: Hexham General Hospital

My 82 year old mother was admitted to A&E very late at night on the 3rd May with abdominal pain. My father and I attended with her, but later left believing that she would remain in hospital until the morning. We were however shocked to discover that she was discharged home in a taxi at 4.00 am in the morning, still in her nightwear, in extreme discomfort and suffering from severe diaorrhea, following treatment, for which she was given pads by the nursing staff. No attempt was made by the hospital to contact myself, only my elderly father who was extremely confused and upset by the decision to send her home. This aside from the fact that they then had to pay £31.00 for a taxi.

My mother was not treated with care, respect or basic humanity. She is a frail elderly lady who is vulnerable and has been left very upset and distressed by her treatment. We have previously always been pleased at the care received at Hexham but on this occasion feel disappointed and let down by the hospital.

Response from Hexham General Hospital

The Trust was very sorry to hear of your experience concerning your mother’s attendance to the Emergency Care Centre at Hexham General Hospital. We believe that you have formally expressed your concerns in writing which we are currently investigating. A written response will be sent to you in due course.