"Help at the CIC hospital"

About: Centre for Integrative Care (formerly Glasgow Homeopathic Hospital) Forth Valley Royal Hospital / Adult mental health

I had had bowel cancer. I had an operation to remove the tumour at Stobhill hospital and got one session of chemotherapy at the Beatson Glasgow. I didn’t have any further sessions as they could not insert the line and I had an allergy to the pills.

I recovered but had struggled a lot with a sense of vulnerability.

I asked my own doctor for help with that sense of vulnerability. He referred me to the CIC hospital. I saw a homeopathic specialist who gave me help with the cause of my bowel cancer. I was also enrolled on a mindfulness course. My reaction was so strong I had to leave the room in floods of tears.

I got given a diagnosis of post traumatic stress. It led to treatment with EMDR at the trauma unit in Forth Valley hospital. I had been struggling with the PTSD for 25 years. The treatment has made a huge difference to me. I had been abused as a young child. After it ceased as a child I coped OK having buried the memories. I now realise that it comes back to be dealt with as an adult. But I didn’t know how.

Without that diagnosis of PTSD at the CIC I would still be struggling. No one else had ever diagnosed it. I am very grateful to them and that I could get that referral.

Response from Lisa Ramsay, Patient Experience Public Involvement Team Support, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear Garden

Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion. I found what you have described here moving and I am sorry to hear about your difficult times. I am glad to hear that you have recovered from the bowel cancer.

After your diagnosis of PTSD, I am heartened to hear that the subsequent treatment has made a huge difference to you. I hope this helps you cope with your bowel cancer diagnosis and what you went through as a child.

I will share your feedback with the staff in the Centre for Integrative Care.

Best wishes
Lisa

Response from NHS Forth Valley

Dear Garden

Many thanks for taking the time to get in touch and leaving feedback about your experience at NHS Forth Valley.

You really are having a difficult time of it, I was truly heartened to hear that the support you have received at NHS Forth Valley has made a huge difference to you.

I have shared your feedback with the team who really appreciated your feedback, and wish you all the very best with your recovery.

Kindest regards