"Help at the CIC hospital"

About: Centre for Integrative Care (formerly Glasgow Homeopathic Hospital) Forth Valley Royal Hospital / Adult mental health

I had had bowel cancer. I had an operation to remove the tumour at Stobhill hospital and got one session of chemotherapy at the Beatson Glasgow. I didn’t have any further sessions as they could not insert the line and I had an allergy to the pills.

I recovered but had struggled a lot with a sense of vulnerability.

I asked my own doctor for help with that sense of vulnerability. He referred me to the CIC hospital. I saw a homeopathic specialist who gave me help with the cause of my bowel cancer. I was also enrolled on a mindfulness course. My reaction was so strong I had to leave the room in floods of tears.

I got given a diagnosis of post traumatic stress. It led to treatment with EMDR at the trauma unit in Forth Valley hospital. I had been struggling with the PTSD for 25 years. The treatment has made a huge difference to me. I had been abused as a young child. After it ceased as a child I coped OK having buried the memories. I now realise that it comes back to be dealt with as an adult. But I didn’t know how.

Without that diagnosis of PTSD at the CIC I would still be struggling. No one else had ever diagnosed it. I am very grateful to them and that I could get that referral.

Response from Lisa Ramsay, Patient Experience Public Involvement Team Support, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear Garden

Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion. I found what you have described here moving and I am sorry to hear about your difficult times. I am glad to hear that you have recovered from the bowel cancer.

After your diagnosis of PTSD, I am heartened to hear that the subsequent treatment has made a huge difference to you. I hope this helps you cope with your bowel cancer diagnosis and what you went through as a child.

I will share your feedback with the staff in the Centre for Integrative Care.

Best wishes