"Acute surgical admission from home, via a&e"

About: Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

I had an urgent colonoscopy for a change in bowel habit . This was done very professionally with great staff who showed courtesy and kindness at every step. Six hours later, at home, I suddenly developed severe abdominal pain. The ambulance crew who assessed me did so with great skill and clinical acumen. They administered powerful analgesia which made the trip to the RD&E much more civilised. The receiving team in A&E, notwithstanding it was now the small hours of a Saturday morning, were sensitive and empathic, and helped further with the pain while initial investigations were carried out. I was then transferred to an acute surgical ward where I awoke the next morning. The staff there were very welcoming and professional. I then had a CT scan, again performed smoothly and efficiently. A little later I was moved on to another ward (let's not forget the porters, whose services I used several times during my admission, and were all superb and friendly) where I have been since. There the staff, without exception, have been clinically capable, well-trained, and highly motivated to provide the best care possible. As I was by far the least ill patient on the ward, I was able to see how they looked after my fellow-patients - it was a delight to behold. I want to shout from the rooftops how lucky we are in the South West to be so well card for!

Response from Patient Experience Officer, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.